Ranked in Tier 1 for Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence – The Legal 500 (2021)
“An excellent and very experienced silk. He is very calm, reassuring, thorough and always extremely well prepared.” “He is a polished advocate and a delightful opponent.” – Chambers and Partners (2021)
“A legendary QC who is rightly regarded as one of the best around” – Chambers and Partners (2020)
“One of the best advocates around.” – The Legal 500 (2020)
Andrew Lewis QC has vast experience in all areas of personal injury and clinical negligence work, having specialised in this field since joining the Bar. According to Chambers and Partners 2016, “Andrew is exceptionally good. A modern, user-friendly silk who is very bright and very capable. He is an extremely able advocate with a very attractive way of getting a judge’s attention.
“A standout advocate who gives clear advice.” “Andrew is a safe pair of hands. He always provides sound advice, is down to earth and so easy to deal with, always putting clients at their ease.” – Chambers and Partners (2017)
He is a contributor to Butterworth’s Personal Injury Litigation Service.
Andrew’s personal-injury practice consists largely of fatal and catastrophic injury claims, particularly brain and spinal-cord injury cases. He is very experienced in work involving competing claims of exaggeration/fraud versus subtle brain injury/chronic pain/somatoform disorder.
In his employer’s liability work, Andrew will also become involved in conducting inquests and defending health & safety prosecutions.
“A safe and highly competent pair of hands. Arguably the best and most experienced Silk in personal injury work east of the Pennines. Gets quickly to the heart of a case. Disarmingly effective.” – The Legal 500 (2021)
Andrew Lewis QC offers vast experience in all areas of clinical negligence work. He works for claimants, the NHSLA and GPs, undertaking cases of all types up to the most serious cerebral palsy negligent-birth claims.
Andrew has dealt with a wide range of claims, with particular experience of accident & emergency and orthopaedic failures, obstetric claims (cerebral palsy/shoulder dystocia), paediatric cardiac surgery, delayed diagnosis of cancer, gastro-intestinal claims and failed cosmetic surgery.
Andrew’s work not only includes drafting, advising and court work but he attends a considerable number of joint settlement meetings and mediations in high-value claims.
“A gifted advocate who has the ability to communicate well with families and put them at ease.” “He is highly skilled, extremely approachable, and excellent both in court and in negotiations.” – Chambers and Partners (2021)
“He is very detailed and thorough assessment of the evidence. He is excellent in conference with balancing the complex medical and legal points in discussions with experts and also making everything accessible for the client or litigation friend to follow the evidence and the views being discussed.” – The Legal 500 (2021)
“Andrew Lewis QC is very well known for his expertise in catastrophic brain and spinal cord injury cases.” – The Legal 500 (2019)
“Clients like him. He has a grasp of what is required in these cases, is not out of touch and clients take to him immediately.” “He is quick to grasp things and will raise questions ahead of any meeting if he needs to, so everything runs much more smoothly.” – Chambers and Partners (2017)
His disease work is now largely based around asbestos-induced mesothelioma claims, and he works for claimant or defendant.
- “An outstanding silk for personal injury and clinical negligence matters.” – The Legal 500 (2019)
- “A highly accomplished and very friendly silk.” – The Legal 500 (2017)
- “A strong negotiator with excellent client-handling skills and courtroom abilities.” The Legal 500 (2016)
- “He has a very calm manner which puts the clients at ease.” “He doesn’t get bogged down in the unnecessary issues.” “He’s very tenacious; he’s got good judgement and is prepared to fight.” – Chambers and Partners (2016)
- “Andrew Lewis QC…is a skilled and articulate advocate, with a very easy-going manner, and gets on very well with clients. He is recommended for catastrophic injury claims.” The Legal 500 (2016)
- “An absolutely superb barrister, he is tremendous with clients and never lets us down.” Chambers and Partners (2015)
- “He has an excellent grasp of papers, is adaptable in negotiations, and is adept at judging client meetings.” – The Legal 500 (2015)
- “He is a charming person and is capable of simplifying challenging law and medical issues.” Chambers and Partners (2015)
- He is very competent. A fair and good advocate.” Chambers and Partners(2014)
- “Andrew Lewis QC… is a first-class lawyer with great attention to detail and a wonderful way with clients. He tackles both personal injury and clinical negligence cases.” Chambers and Partners (2013)
- “Andrew Lewis QC… is respected by his opponents. His practice is split between personal injury and clinical negligence.” Chambers and Partners(2012)
- “Andrew Lewis QC… is very well regarded among peers…” The Legal 500(2012)
- Andrew Lewis QC “…has vast experience of many severe injury cases, including brain and spinal injuries claims. According to peers, he is a ‘disarmingly charming advocate who goes about his business in a highly effective way.’ ” (2011)
- “Andrew Lewis QC is thought to be ‘one of the most approachable silks in the country.’ He is popular amongst solicitors and fellow barristers as he offers ‘well-rounded and meticulously thought-out advice’.” (2010)
- “Andrew Lewis is highly recommended for his clinical negligence work and noted to be ‘remarkably pragmatic, user-friendly and terrifically strong on his feet’.” (2009)
- “He was described as a “first class practitioner whom clients trust implicitly… A real star…Clever in court and astute in negotiations.” (2008)
- He was regarded as “a polished performer with a charming and urbane manner” (2007)
- Riaz v Norwich Union 
- Burgin v Sheffield 
- Hensar Leather v Securicor 
- Totty v Snowden 
Andrew may accept Public Access work, where he can be instructed directly by a member of the public rather than a solicitor.