Catherine is a very experienced practitioner who prosecutes and defends serious crime including murder and serious violence, serious sexual offences, organised crime, firearms offences and large scale financial crime.
Catherine is an approved RASSO prosecutor. She is adept at dealing with cases involving children, parties with learning or mental difficulties and parties where there is a language barrier. Catherine is experienced in cross examining vulnerable witnesses and has significant experience in section 28 cases. Catherine is frequently instructed in cases which require particularly sensitive handling.
Catherine is an approved member of the Serious Crime Panel. She is frequently instructed in complex, multi handed cases involving large volumes of technical information.
Catherine regularly deals with public interest immunity and sensitive disclosure issues. She has been instructed in Preston briefings and cases involving intercept material on a number of occasions.
Complex Case Unit Prosecutions
- Operation Railbird – Prosecuting large scale conspiracy to supply drugs, involving 11 Defendants. Over 90,000 pages of detailed documentary evidence as well as complex telephone evidence and sophisticated undercover surveillance. Complex Case Unit prosecution – Junior counsel.
- Operation Yesler – Prosecuting complex fraud centred on financial transactions involving Western Union in both UK and around the world. 8 defendants. Complex Case Unit prosecution – Junior Counsel.
Murder/Serious Violence Offences
- R v Dormer – Murder – Prosecution junior counsel – successful prosecution of a female charged with the murder of her male partner. The case was appealed to the Court of Appeal. Catherine was responsible for preparing the respondent’s notice and written submissions. The appeal was dismissed.
- R v Castree – Murder of an 11 year old child in 1975, following the wrongful conviction and successful appeal of Stefan Kiszko (V.H.C.C). A high profile case with national media coverage. Junior prosecution counsel.
- R v Majid – Defence Junior in a multi handed violent disorder. Successful submission of no case to answer.
Serious Sexual Offences
- R v E – Section 28 case – 16 year old boy charged with sexual assault of a 9 year old girl.
- R v Hamilton-Eve – Defendant charged with sexual communication with a child.
- R v Mumford – Sunday school teacher charged with historic sexual offences on a child.
- R v Marr – Rape – 2 complainants, both gave evidence via video link. Oral evidence given by the forensic scientist and medical expert.
Conspiracy and Drugs Offences
- R v Tempski – Conspiracy to import over 10 million cigarettes into the UK and evade VAT to the tune of £2 million.
- R v Ali and Ishaq – Prosecuting multi-handed possession of class A drugs with intent to supply. Confiscation order made with a benefit figure in the sum of approximately £900,000.
Fraud and Theft Offences
- R v Henderson – Defending a multi-handed conspiracy to defraud.
- R v Windass – Defending a multi-handed theft from employer.
- R v Nightingale – Possession of a firearm (loaded sworn off shotgun). Minimum term sentence provisions applied.
- R v Bainbridge – Female charged with perverting the course of justice after making a false allegation of serious sexual assault against a police officer.
- R v Pepper – Father charged with 2 counts of child cruelty relating to his own children.
- R v McGhie – Female charged with assaulting her 3 year old son and thereby occasioning him actual bodily harm.