Holly Clegg is a C-List Specialist Regulatory Advocate.
Holly has a growing practice in all Regulatory and Public Law matters and has wide-ranging experience in this area. She has acted in numerous cases involving prosecutions brought by private agencies including local councils, the Environment Agency, HSE, RSPCA, DVLA, HMRC and FSA. She has experience of dealing with complicated regulations, factual issues and cross-examining expert witnesses. She has been accepted on the panel for the Government Legal Department as a Junior Junior and receives regular instructions from them in relation to cases involving Prison Law and Employment issues.
Prior to pupillage Holly worked as a Paralegal at Stewarts Law, a firm specialising in high value cases involving catastrophic injuries and fatal accidents. During her time as a paralegal Holly assisted with the preparation of numerous cases involving the HSE and the Care Quality Commission.
Holly has prosecuted on behalf of the Home Office, the Police and the HMRC in both the Magistrates’ Court and the Crown Court. She has successfully prosecuted a number of appeals to the Crown Court on behalf of the DVLA, involving complex legal submissions on how excise penalties and back duty are calculated under the Vehicle Excise & Registration Act 1994.
Holly has undertaken secondments with South Yorkshire Police and the Clinical Commissioning Group in York. She has delivered training to West Yorkshire Fire Brigade. Holly has also represented numerous clients at Mental Health Tribunals and is experienced when dealing with vulnerable clients.
Holly has a keen interest in inquest work and coronial law. She is looking to develop her experience in this area, working closely with other members of the inquest team within Chambers. Due to her experience of Criminal, Regulatory and Civil law, Holly is able to offer continuity in cases that may involve a number of legal areas and disciplines.
- FSA v Hussein– The Bowood Farms Slaughterhouse cruelty case- Holly Defended one of the slaughtermen on an offence of animal cruelty.
- R (Calderdale Council) v Ramsden– represented a Defendant facing charges brought under the Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies (England) Regulations 2010 and The Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) Order 2011.
- HSE v Brooke Ren Ltd– Represented a construction company on an HSE prosecution on the collapse of a building
- The Environment Agency v Cooling & others– Disclosure junior on a large scale operation
- York City Council– Prosecuted a landlord for breaching licencing requirements under the Housing Act 2004
- RSPCA v Husband– representing the Defendant on a 2 day trial on animal cruelty and neglect in Teesside Magistrates’ Court