Holly has a strong and developing practice in all Regulatory and Public Law matters and has wide-ranging experience of these areas.
Holly was appointed to the Specialist Regulatory Panel of Advocates in 2019 and has been instructed on behalf of government bodies on the Regulatory List since her appointment. She has also been accepted onto the panel for the Government Legal Department as a ‘Junior Junior’ and receives regular instructions from them in relation to cases involving Inquests, Prison Law, Personal Injury, Immigration and Employment issues.
Holly has acted for both the Prosecution and the Defence in numerous cases brought by private agencies including local councils, the Environment Agency, The Home Office, HSE, RSPCA, DVLA, HMRC and FSA. She has experience of dealing with complicated regulations, factual issues and cross-examining expert witnesses in the Magistrates Court, Crown Court and in Specialist Tribunals.
Holly has undertaken secondments with the Police and the Clinical Commissioning Group in York. She has received instructions from the Police in relation to matters involving Judicial Review and she has delivered training to West Yorkshire Fire Brigade. Holly has also represented numerous clients at Mental Health Tribunals and parole hearings.
Having undertaken work for numerous government bodies Holly is familiar with internal policies and potential interactions between various government organisations. She is able to turn her hand to complex Regulatory and Governmental matters, in both an advisory role and as a court advocate.
Prior to pupillage Holly worked as a Paralegal at Stewarts Law, a firm specialising in high value cases involving catastrophic injuries and fatal accidents. During her time as a paralegal Holly assisted with the preparation of numerous cases involving the HSE and the Care Quality Commission.
- The Environment Agency v Cooling & others – Disclosure junior on a large scale multi-handed operation into illegal waste disposal
- HSE v Lee Taylor- Prosecuted on behalf of the HSE in a case involving unregistered gas work and building regulation breaches
- HSE v Brooke Ren Ltd– Represented a construction company on an HSE prosecution on the collapse of a building
- Grayston v The Director of Border Revenue- Instructed on behalf of the Home Office in an appeal against confiscation in the First Tier Tax Tribunal
- RSPCA v Husband– Representing the Defendant on a 2 day trial on animal cruelty and neglect in Teesside Magistrates’ Court
- R (Calderdale Council) v Ramsden– Represented a Defendant facing charges brought under the Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies (England) Regulations 2010 and The Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) Order 2011.
- FSA v Hussein– The Bowood Farms Slaughterhouse cruelty case- Holly Defended one of the slaughtermen on an offence of animal cruelty brought by the Food Standards Agency.