Jonathan practices in chancery and commercial litigation with an emphasis on real property, probate and professional negligence. His practice also extends to the Court of Protection and matters relating to capacity and financial affairs.
He has significant experience in matters relating to trusts of land following the breakdown of personal or business relationships. In particular he is sought after for his expertise in claims under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996. He has been instructed in cases involving the scrutiny of trust deeds, undue influence and professional negligence.
In respect of contentious probate work Jonathan’s practice also includes regular instructions on behalf of claimants, beneficiaries and estates in matters arising under the Inheritance Act 1975, often where there is a trust of land element. Jonathan has particular expertise in claims involving children, vulnerable adults and deemed divorce. He accepts instructions relating to capacity and the validity of wills.
Jonathan combines his experience in these areas with a thriving Proceeds of Crime practice. He is regularly instructed by prosecution, defence and third parties where there are complex issues involving property ownership.
- TG v AG (SG Intervening)  – Acted on behalf of Intervener in partnership dissolution proceedings. Farming business valued at £2m.
- G v D & CPS  – Acted on behalf of the CPS in TOLATA proceedings in the High Court.
- R v KH / AH (SB Intervening)  – acted for Crown in application to appoint enforcement receiver. Case involved argument over the beneficial ownership of four properties and the competing TOLATA claim of the intervenor.
- R v A  – acted for Crown in application under s22 POCA. Case involved a sham trust of London property and argument concerning the proprietary title in private registration number plates and motor vehicles.
- JB v RB (AB intervening)  – appeared on behalf of the intervener in ancillary relief proceedings. Successful claim for life tenancy at the former matrimonial home by way of proprietary estoppel.
- W & W(a minor) v Estate of HW  – acted for the children of the deceased in successful application for reasonable financial provision. Case involved issues of capacity and forgery.
- W & M td v N PLC  – acted for Defendant in claim for undue enrichment. Successful defence that included submissions and finding in favour of the defendant relating to the piercing of the corporate veil.
- R v M / M v H  – Represented a client in successful proceedings in TOLATA and subsequent application to vary a confiscation order made under POCA.
Jonathan regularly provides CPD accredited training.