Joe is currently instructed as counsel to the Inquiry on two major public inquiries: (1) UK Covid-19 Inquiry, (2) Undercover Policing Inquiry. Joe has a depth of experience in public inquiries and is therefore well-placed to advise Core Participants in relation to other inquiries on procedure and strategy.
Joe has dealt with a diverse range of coronial cases, including the death of a road cyclist, a complicated death at a care home involving safeguarding concerns and the contraction of COVID-19, and multiple self-inflicted deaths in state custody involving consideration of Article 2 ECHR.
Joe understands the importance of getting it right at the Pre-Inquest Review and takes a considered approach to the menu of issues which arise at such hearings, from disclosure and IP status to Article 2 and Jury considerations.
- Appointed as Second Junior Counsel to the Undercover Policing Inquiry
- Appointed as junior counsel to the UK-Covid 19 Inquiry.
- Instructed for the healthcare provider in an inquest involving suicide in a Doncaster prison.
- Instructed to appear in an inquest on behalf of Derbyshire County Council in which safeguarding concerns were being investigated following the death of a vulnerable adult in hospital, preceded by a fall in a care home and the contraction of COVID-19.
- Instructed in an inquest involving a holidaymaker contracting food poisoning and then being admitted to hospital on return to the UK following complications.
- Instructed in an inquest concerning the death of a cyclist following collision with a large vehicle.