Katherine is a grade 4 prosecutor and is regularly instructed in all areas of criminal law, including terrorism, serious violence and sexual cases and complex conspiracies.
Katherine prosecutes and defends in a range of complex cases. She is regularly instructed in serious sexual offences, Multi defendant conspiracies and violence / homicide.
Katherine has particular experience of money laundering and proceeds of crime proceedings, including all aspects of confiscation. She has lectured extensively on the Proceeds of Crime Act both from a prosecution and defence perspective for a variety of audiences including the Regional Assets Recovery Team and Local Authorities.
As the UK governments Criminal Justice Advisor to Somaliland, Katherine works in the Horn of Africa on Counter Terrorism.
- Operation G: Instructed by CPS Complex Casework Unit to prosecute firearms importation conspiracy.
- Operation P: Instructed by CPS Complex Casework Unit to prosecute a care home abuse trial, including pre-charge advice on legal complexities.
- R v C: Instructed to prosecute alone a murder against a QC and Junior for the defence.
- Op Tendersea: Instructed for a defendant with mental health issues in a 10 defendant historic grooming trial.
- R v B: Instructed for a defendant with mental health issues charged with rape of his 4 year old step granddaughter
- Leading junior R v C and others. 7 week trial, Conspiracy to defraud and money laundering in excess of 2 million involving 3 companies. Successful prosecution securing convictions for all defendants.
- R v S successful prosecution of fraud on Morrisons involving complex computer evidence including the Dark Web.
- R v GS successful defence of female charged with large scale fraud / money laundering
- R v I, R and T successful prosecution appeal against terminatory ruling in regulatory case. Issues concerned the admissibility of complex scientific evidence
- R v C and others. Confiscation proceedings, succeeded on behalf of defendant in reducing benefit figure from more than 2 million to less than 250k in Multi million £ counterfeit currency case.
- R v T instructed on behalf of defendant in complex confiscation proceedings involving international property issues, rights of spouses outside of the jurisdiction and the availability of funds to satisfy an order in a country not recognised by UK authorities (TRNC)
- R v R successfully defendant charged with child sexual abuse allegations dating back 38 years. Complex third party disclosure and abuse of process issues.
- R v Rose & Rose 2010 – Prosecuted multi million pound fraud
- R v Tiffany (Arthur Geoffrey) AG Ref 52 of 2009 – Represented the defendant in a reference by the Attorney General in a serious child sexual abuse case
- Junior to Richard Wright – R v Singh & others (2009). Defended in multi-defendant fraud and money laundering trial
- Junior to Kama Melly QC in Multi defendant death by dangerous driving trial involving the first prosecution of spectators in a road race leading to the death of 4 teenagers.
- R v Umakanthan & others 2009 – Prosecuted large scale fraud
- R v Silvester  EWCA Crim 2182 – Appeal against sentence – Confiscation order quashed as the victim of the relevant offences has obtained a civil judgment against the offender
- Junior to Andrew Dallas – R v Young & Others (Prosecution of four youth Defendants for Murder)
- Junior to Tim Capstick – R v Cleary & Others 2006, R v Busby & Others (both Prosecutions of large scale Class ‘A’ drug dealing conspiracies)
- West Yorkshire Probation Board v Townend  EWHC 1953 & West Yorkshire Probation Board  EWHC 2342 v Boulter – Advised and appeared for the Probation Service in the High Court. Cases concerning proof of identity of defendants and breach of probation order hearings
Contact Katherine’s clerks
Katherine is well-versed in matters of regulatory law, including Trading Standards and environmental matters
Katherine is regularly instructed to prosecute and defend in a range of Trading Standards, DWP and other regulatory prosecutions and is currently Leading Counsel in a multi million pound conspiracy to defraud prosecution involving three companies and their directors.
Contact Katherine’s clerks