Michael is a RASSO-accredited Grade 4 Crown Prosecutor who regularly deals with large and evidentially complex cases involving fraud, drug supply, sex and homicide. There is currently no equivalent bench mark in defence work; if there was he would inevitably have the same standing for work of that kind. He defends and prosecutes cases in equal measure, which provides an insight often lacked by acting solely for one side. As a former duty solicitor, he understands how a criminal case proceeds from the first police interview to a trial by jury.
Michael’s practical approach and open, friendly manner mean he is asked for again and again by people he has represented. As a former partner in a large firm of solicitors specializing in publicly funded work, he understands the pressures on the profession in the current climate and can work effectively with our partners to achieve the best possible results.
Michael regularly represents clients with mental-health issues and has been approved by the courts to provide representation to those adjudged to be unfit to stand trial.
He was a solicitor for 10 years before transferring to the Bar and was a member of the Law Society panel accredited to provide representation to people detained under the Mental Health Act.
- AG’s Ref No 58 of 2007 — Sentencing for juveniles in arson cases
- R v Maya (2010) 2 Cr App R(S) 85 — Leading case on recommendations for deportation.
- R v Yasin and others 2014 – 2016 successful prosecution of a group of male pedophiles systematically sexually abusing vulnerable girls within an extended step family leading to sentences in excess of 40 years.
- Operation Fablebank 2017 – successful prosecution of multi-handed firearms conspiracy.
- Operation Goodedge 2018 – successful defence in a multi-handed drugs conspiracy.
Contact Michael’s clerks