Phillipa takes instructions in a broad range of regulatory crime cases, including health and safety, environmental, fire safety, environmental health, building control and food standards cases.
Phillipa has significant experience representing police forces. Between March 2016 and September 2016, Phillipa was seconded to Humberside Police Legal Services. She continues to act for police forces on a range of matters including:
- Applications for orders to protect members of the public, including Sexual Harm Prevention Orders, Sexual Risk Orders, Notification Orders, Violent Offender Orders and Domestic Violence Protection Orders.
- Firearms appeals.
- Dangerous dog applications.
- Disclosure between the police and the Family Court.
- Legal professional privilege issues.
- Police property disputes.
- Defending civil claims against the police.
Phillipa is available to provide bespoke training to police forces and regulatory bodies. She has previously provided training to Humberside Police Legal Services, South Yorkshire Legal Services and Cleveland Fire Brigade.
- Chief Constable of Humberside Police v Benjamin Lumby (2016) –successfully defended the appeal against a Sexual Harm Prevention Order in Hull Crown Court over a 4-day hearing with vulnerable witnesses. The Court varied the SHPO to make it more onerous. It was reported in the national press.
- Chief Constable of Humberside Police v Glyn Martin (2016) – successful application for a Sexual Harm Prevention Order, including a condition requiring the Respondent to wear by a location-monitoring device at all times.
- Represented Humberside Police at the case management stage of proceedings in the High Court to disclose information arising out of the police investigation into the death of Poppy Widdison. The case attracted national press.