Giles Grant in successful prosecution of man who stockpiled weapons and plotted revenge on authoritiesGiles Grant
Acting as junior counsel for the prosecution, Giles Grant has secured a successful prosecution following a 12-day trial in Bradford Crown Court
The Defendant, Ashkan Ebrahimi, 33 from Halifax, was described by the police force as a man “obsessed with revenge” following a raid of his home in October 2015 where the police discovered an arsenal of chemicals, swords, crossbows and high-powered air rifles.
Initially, the case began on a charge of related to an over-powered air-rifle. However, Giles applied to the Attorney General on two occasions to increase the charges.
The case was finally resolved this week with the defendant receiving a 20 year extended sentence on charges of possession of explosives with intent to endanger life, stalking, and weapons offences.
The case has been closely followed by both local and national media including:
- Halifax Courier – https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/crime/obsessed-stalker-who-gathered-weapons-and-bomb-making-chemicals-gets-20-year-extended-sentence-1-9203956
- Yorkshire Evening Post – https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/halifax-man-who-wanted-revenge-on-authorities-is-jailed-for-20-years-1-9204345
- BBC News – https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-44465236
- The Telegraph – https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/06/12/father-stockpiled-weapons-plotted-revenge-police-judge-took/
- The Times – https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/weapons-obsessive-ashkan-ebrahimi-plotted-revenge-on-police-and-judge-fnhnpnwlq
- The Daily Mail – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5836151/Iranian-immigrant-hatred-police-jailed-20-years-weapons.html
Giles has a growing criminal practice and he undertakes all areas of criminal law for both defence and prosecution.