Ranked in The Legal 500 (2022) for Family and Children Law.
“Karen has a formidable intellect and makes her points in a persuasive and nuanced way.” – The Legal 500 (2022)
- Serious Non-accidental Injuries and Child Death
- Significant Neglect
- Sexual abuse
- Domestic Violence
- Drug and Alcohol Misuse
- Factitious Illness
- Female Genital Mutilation
- Representation of children and vulnerable young persons
- Relinquished Babies
- Breakdown of Adoption
- Applications under the Inherent Jurisdiction
- Protections of Vulnerable Young persons including Dangerous Association
- Human Rights Applications
- Jurisdictional Issues including placing Children Abroad.
- Cases involving cultural or international elements.
- Domestic Abuse and Coercive Control
- Interfamilial Sexual Abuse
- Domestic Violence
- Parental Alienation
- Implacable Hostility
- International relocation
- Removal from the Jurisdiction
With 15 years of experience in family Karen is a heavy weight practitioner who is highly regarded by her colleagues and the judiciary for her breadth of knowledge and understanding of law and practice, her thorough and analytical consideration of complex and difficult cases and her dynamic approach.
Karen is committed to ensuring the best outcome for her clients and represents with equal tenacity Local Authorities, parents (and other family members) and children (through their Guardian and on their own) in serious and multifaceted cases including; Complex Medical and Mental Health Issues, Serious and Multiple Non-Accidental Injuries, Child death, Sexual Abuse, Poisoning, Fabricated Illness, Neglect and cases involving International and Human Rights issues.
Her professional approach, sensible and considered advice and dedication to her cases keep her in high demand throughout the North East Circuit.
- Re L: : High Court. Representation of the children in a care case involving a child death with complex medical and factual issues and where there were considerable breaches of the children’s human rights.
- Re M : Care Proceedings; Representation of a mother in care proceedings facing allegations of Factitious Illness involving voluminous medical records with multiple discipline expert evidence was required. Karen successfully challenged the LA case and the children were returned home.
- Re S [2018}: Care Proceedings: Representation of a foreign national parent in Adoption proceedings where the country of origin intervened, evidence was taken from family members and social work assessors from abroad as well as challenges to the use of foreign judgements in UK courts. Karen successfully challenged the LA case and the children were returned home.
- Re R : Human Rights Act: Representation of grandmother in care proceedings where client. Miss Lennon skilfully challenged the LA and Children’s Guardian and succeeded in having the child placed in her care as well as successfully representing her in a Human Rights Claim against the LA arising out of the LA considerable failings in the case.
- Re W: : High Court; Representation of Adopted Parents in a Adoption Act case where there has been a breakdown of placement and where there was consideration to be given to separating the adopted children.
- Re: MG : Brussels II Case. High Court: Representation of the father in proceedings where the main issue was the habitual residence of the children alongside an application to remove from the Jurisdiction.
- Re: L & P : Warship Proceedings; High Court Proceedings where acted for the LA for an injunction under the Inherent Jurisdiction where the risk was risk of sexual harm form association. Issues were relating to Mental Capacity under the Mental Health Capacity Act 2005.
- Re: CG : Representation of the children in International Child Abduction Case.
- Re: S : Care Proceedings; Court of Appeal: Acted for father where allegations of sexual abuse were set against allegations of coaching. The case was appealed to the court of Appeal. Counsel was lead by Janel Bazley QC
- Re: C  Care Proceedings: Representation of the father where father successfully applied to reopen a finding of fact. Counsel was lead.
- Re S : Care Proceedings; High Court; Representation of grandparents in case where the father killed the mother with issues as to where the children should reside and contact with the father.
- Re: M : International Law; Represented of the mother in proceedings for permission to remove a child to a Non Brussels II country.
Contact Karen’s clerks
Finance – Family Finance
- Finances on Divorce
- Trust of Land and Appointment of Trustee Applications
- Land Tribunal Applications
- Schedule 1 Applications
In the financial arena she is a discerning advocate who grapples easily with cases involving multi assets, complex business accounts, limited and unlimited companies and partnerships and is regularly instructed in cases involving high value assets. Karen has represented clients where the asset value exceed six figures. She is also equally adept at dealing with co-habitation cases with experience in Land Tribunals, applications under TOLATA and Schedule 1 Applications
Karen is a bar representative of the Local Family Justice Board in York engaging and contributing to the meetings and subcommittees and research, Karen also arranges the annual conference. She also regularly gives seminars in all areas in which she practises.