PSQB offers Mini-pupillages to those over 18 to enable those interested in a career at the Bar to experience life as a barrister at the largest set of chambers on the North-Eastern Circuit.
Chambers will usually recruit Mini-pupils in three application cycles:
- Applications will be accepted in June for those wishing to undertake a Mini-pupillage between September and December
- Applications will be accepted in October for those wishing to undertake a Mini-pupillage between January and April
- Applications will be accepted in February for those wishing to undertake a Mini-pupillage between May and August.
Applications must be made in February, October or June. Applications made outside those months will be disregarded entirely.
Applications should be made in the form of a CV no longer than two sides of A4 and a covering letter no longer than one side of A4 addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The covering letter should state in which areas of practice at PSQB the candidate wishes to gain experience. Applicants are also requested to complete the Equality Monitoring Form found here and attach it to the application.
PSQB only accepts applications from candidates over the age of 18.
The aims of Mini-pupillage at PSQB are threefold (in no particular order):
- To assess prospective Pupillage applicants;
- To offer insight into the profession to those interested in the Bar;
- To widen the demographic pool of those exposed to a career at the Bar, particularly encouraging applications those from socially diverse and ethnic minority backgrounds.
Candidates will be assessed against the following criteria (in no particular order):
- Intellectual qualities;
The duration of each Mini-pupillage will be agreed prior to its commencement. It is expected that most Mini-pupillages will last three consecutive days, but Chambers will be flexible in shortening or lengthening that period or making the days non-consecutive, particularly with regard to caring responsibilities.
Chambers will be flexible in setting the duration of each day of Mini-pupillage, but it is expected that it will usually last from approximately 9:30 to 16:30.