Michael accepts instructions for both prosecution and defence work. His practice includes cases at all stages of proceedings in the Youth Court, Crown Court and the Court of Appeal.
Michael is a much sought-after junior. His defence practice encompasses the full range of criminal offences, including murder, rape and other sexual offences against adults and children, drugs offences, serious violence, and financial crime together with proceeds of crime matters.
Michael regularly advises on all areas of criminal law, including matters of confiscation and asset restraint, and is happy to advise and draft documents as part of case preparation when required.
Following a career break, Michael spent a brief period shadowing with Matthew Harding. He has now returned to chambers and accepts instructions in all areas of crime.
Michael prides himself on his ability to engage with clients, and has experience representing those requiring particularly sensitive care due to age and/or vulnerability.
- R v IM, Led junior for the defence. Defendant was part of a joint enterprise ‘crash for cash’ fraud which led to a manslaughter.
- R v H, Leeds Youth Court – Defence of a boy charged with the historic rape of his younger brother. One parent was a witness for the prosecution, the other for the defence.
- R v O, Leeds Crown Court – Led junior for the defence. Defendant was a foreign national charged with the murder of his friend.
- R v JH, Leeds Crown Court – Defence of a man charged with the historic sexual abuse of two generations of his family.
- R v A, Leeds Crown Court – Prosecution of a man charged with a series of assaults which disrupted the General Synod Service at York Minster in the presence of Archbishops of Canterbury and York.
- R v N, Bradford Crown Court – Led junior for the defence in the first large-scale sexual-grooming prosecution in Bradford
Contact Michael’s clerks