Michael Jowett accepts instructions for both prosecution and defence work. His practice includes cases at all stages of proceedings in the Youth Court, Crown Court and the Court of Appeal.
Michael is a much sought-after junior and is often instructed in matters beyond his level of call. His defence practice encompasses the full range of criminal offences, including murder, rape and other sexual offences against adults and children; drugs offences; serious violence; road traffic offences and financial crime together with proceeds of crime.
Michael regularly advises on all areas of criminal law, including matters of confiscation and asset restraint, and is happy to advise and draft documents as part of case preparation when required.
He is familiar with, and has been instructed in, cases within the Section 28 pilot scheme (video-recorded cross-examination).
Michael prides himself on his ability to engage with clients, and has experience representing those requiring particularly sensitive care due to age and/or vulnerability.
- R v H (2015), Leeds Youth Court – Defence of a boy charged with the historic rape of his younger brother. One parent was a witness for the prosecution, the other for the defence.
- R v O (2014), Leeds Crown Court – Led junior for the defence. Defendant was a foreign national charged with the murder of his friend.
- R v JH (2014), Leeds Crown Court – Defence of a man charged with the historic sexual abuse of two generations of his family.
- R v A (2014), Leeds Crown Court – Prosecution of a man charged with a series of assaults which disrupted the General Synod Service at York Minster in the presence of Archbishops of Canterbury and York.
- R v N (2013), Bradford Crown Court – Led junior for the defence in the first large-scale sexual-grooming prosecution in Bradford
Contact Michael’s clerks