Originally from Leeds, John Batchelor has specialised in defending serious crime since 1993 when he was admitted as a solicitor. He is an effective advocate and obtained his higher rights (crime) in 2005, and has appeared regularly in the crown court since. John transferred to the bar in 2016 but has over 23 years experience in advising in cases involving serious violence, homicide, drugs, public disorder, proceeds of crime, fatal driving cases, and an array of sexual offences. He has recently been placed on the Advocate Panel 2016-20 list for general crime at level 3, for the North Eastern circuit.
“A persuasive advocate who pays attention to every detail and is committed to the interest of the client”
– Instructing Solicitor
John has also advised in serious police enquiries of national interest, including The News International phone hacking investigation.
With particular experience in advising on serious fraud cases and VHCC cases brought by the CPS and the SFO (R.v.Papworth, R.v.Grove, R.v.Mitchell) he is skilled at handling complex and large electronic cases. He has a particular interest in business crime and regulatory work.
John has conducted trials involving serious violence and general crime, as well as multi-handed cases. He has been led by both silk and junior counsel and brings to the Bar his wealth of experience from advising suspects at the police station all the way through to jury trial.
Having provided positive advice on appeal from the Crown Court he has also appeared successfully before the Court of Appeal.
A number of prominent figures from public life and those that have attracted media interest have been discreetly represented by John.
With experience at first hand of the changes and pressure brought to solicitors in practice, John is ideally placed to assist solicitors in looking after their lay clients from a diverse and varied background. He is an affable, approachable advocate who is plain speaking in his advice when supporting his professional and lay clients.
John has recently appeared in several serious sexual offence cases, including non-recent cases and those with multiple allegations and multiple complainants of all age ranges. A number of these cases involve pre-recorded cross-examination.
Recently John has represented a number of people with mental health issues or additional needs. He is used to representing those with complex communication needs.
- R -v- TM January 2022 Leeds Crown Court Defence of Wilful neglect and assault – exposed after death of elderly homosexual partner. Vulnerable defendant . A sensitive case attracting national media interest.
- R -v- H,S & T December 2021 Leeds Crown Court Successful prosecution of joint enterprise Stabbing with Forensic issues and issues of joint participation. Vulnerable witnesses.
- R -v- MC December 2021 Leeds Crown Court Successful prosecution after trial of Home Invasion Robbery based on trace DNA profiling and contested Cell site analysis. Elderly (90) and vulnerable complainant. Lengthy extended sentence imposed.
- R-v-SH – Leeds Crown Court – Successful acquittal of a young man in sexual assault allegation within a relationship. This case attracted nationwide media coverage.
- R-v-CT – Chester Crown Court – Successful application to have allegations of arson dismissed over the issue of DNA transfer from moveable objects.
- R-v-CT – Leeds Crown Court – Defending a conspiracy to commit armed robbery. Multiple defendants in professional offending.
- R-v-BH – York Crown Court – Defending a mature defendant in rape and associated offences from 1974-1978.
- R-v-AB – Leeds Crown Court – Instructed junior in a murder allegation. Significant expert evidence, D acquitted of murder after trial.
- R-v-RH – Leeds Crown Court – Defending a father in serious sexual case involving his own children.
- R-v-VF – Hull Crown Court – Representing a lady with additional needs in a kidnap case.
- R-v-HH – Leeds Crown Court – Defending a young man with Asperger’s and additional needs in a child abduction case.
Contact John’s clerks