Simon Clegg undertakes a variety of criminal cases, building a substantial practice specialising in fraud and confiscation proceedings.
He is a Grade-4 prosecutor and is regularly instructed by a number of prosecuting authorities, such as the CPS (including the Department of Rural, Health and Welfare), HMRC, Central Fraud Group North, the Health & Safety Executive, the Department for Business, Innovation & Skills and the Environment Agency.
Simon is also experienced in EPE (electronic presentation of evidence).
- R v Lamb & Others  EWCA Crim 1365 – led by Craig Hassall in the prosecution of former police officers who illegally imported 60 million cigarettes
- R v Jacques – ongoing fraud and POCA appeal led by Martin Evans
- R v Rock & others – prosecuted 15-handed organised benefit fraud
- R v Drewett – large-scale tobacco fraud
- R v Thompson & Thompson – VAT fraud and cannabis production
- R v Moore – multi-handed mortgage fraud
- R v Hampton – cheating the public revenue
- R v Pearce – complex insolvency fraud involving asset-stripping and directorship disqualification
- R v Thomas & Vanghese – fraud against NHS by nursing staff using bogus references
- R v Muwonge – complex fraud involving evidence from Uganda and Sweden
- R v Majid  EWCA Crim 1648 – authority for the relevance of notional entitlements to other benefits for the purpose of sentencing in fraud cases
- R v Lowe  EWCA Crim 2094 – relevance of admissions of drug supply falling outside dates on charge.
Contact Simon’s clerks