Ranked Tier 1 for Regulatory, Health and Safety and Licensing – The Legal 500 (2018)
Leading Junior in 2017’s Legal 500 for Regulatory and Health & Safety and is a B-List Specialist Regulatory Advocate.
“Composed and level-headed.” – The Legal 500 (2018)
“He is a very diligent and precise lawyer” – The Legal 500 (2017)
Simon Clegg prosecutes and defends in serious cases brought by the Environment Agency, Health & Safety Executive and local authorities. He often provides pre-charge advice in relation to large-scale operations.
Since 2012 Simon has been a panelist advocate for both the EA and HSE.
Simon has experience of private prosecutions and is often instructed to advise upon the merits of potential prosecutions at an early stage.
Simon also undertakes inquest work, and his cases have included:
- Driver in police pursuit killed in multi-vehicle RTA
- Death of dockworker due to health & safety failures of employer
- Teenager misdiagnosed by GP.
- R v A and others: Junior to David Brooke QC in on-going ten-handed prosecution relating to the illegal depositing of waste.
- R v Douglas: Prosecution of waste activities culminating in a large fire which led to parliamentary involvement.
- R v C Ltd: Defence of company following serious injury at workplace.
- R v B: Defence of landlord in relation to dangerous residential premises.
- R v Atkinson: Prosecution of incompetent and unlicensed gas-fitter who created risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- R v Letterbox: Prosecution of company following serious injury caused by dangerous machinery.