Richard Wright Q.C. is Head of Chambers and is Ranked in Tier 1 (The Legal 500, 2020) for Regulatory, Health & Safety and Licensing and Crime. Band One silk for Crime (Chambers and Partners, 2019).
Described in legal directories as a “born leader” and “masterful silk” he has been instructed in a wide range of regulatory cases. His regulatory practice includes Health & Safety cases, those involving Environmental Waste, Fire Safety, Food Safety (particularly food allergen cases), Food Hygiene and Animal Welfare cases brought by DEFRA and he has been instructed in the highest profile Gross Negligence Manslaughter prosecutions.
‘ Highly experienced in environmental and agricultural matters. ’ The Legal 500 (2020)
‘He makes everyone else look like foothills compared to Mount Everest. ’ – The Legal 500 (2020)
‘A masterful silk’ – Chambers and Partners (2019)
‘An exceptional jury advocate.’ – The Legal 500 (2019)
“A go-to silk for serious criminal cases.” – The Legal 500 (2017)
Richard also has particular expertise in Trading Standards prosecutions and his keen tactical judgement has led to him often being retained at an early stage in proceedings to provide advice to individuals and companies. This often results in the successful defeat of investigations before they result in charges. Richard also acts in professional disciplinary and misconduct cases.
His approachability to both his professional and lay clients combined with his keen intellect and his effective advocacy has meant that he has been constantly in demand to act in complex and high profile cases since taking silk in 2013.
“He is exceptional at what he does; he’s incredibly approachable, brilliant in court and fantastic with clients.” – Chambers and Partners (2017)
‘He has an ability to communicate difficult concepts with ease.’ – The Legal 500 (2016)
“He has a flair for advocacy and is a ferocious examiner. He is a strong choice for heavyweight work.” “He has a very relaxed, calm manner; nothing fazes him.” – Chambers and Partners (2016)
- R -v- Mohammed Khalique Zaman – Prosecuting the first successful prosecution for gross negligence manslaughter arising from a food allergy, and its subsequent successful defence in the Court of Appeal  1 Cr. App. R. (S.) 26
- Highbury Poultry Ltd –v- CPS – The Appellant Company had appealed by case stated and brought linked judicial review proceedings in respect of the interpretation of EU and national regulations governing the welfare of animals at the time of slaughter.
- R- v- Najib & Sons Ltd – Acting for the respondent in an appeal to the Court of Appeal involving EU law and its interplay with the Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies sampling regime in slaughterhouses. The case has involved intricate knowledge and submissions on the statutory interpretation of the complex EU and national TSE Regulations – namely: the TSE (England) Regulations 2010 and surrounded the EU TSE regulation (Regulation (EC) 999/2001) and the DEFRA TSE sampling regime.
- R V Malcolm Mayes & Mandy Mayes (Operation Jaculus) – High value Trading Standards prosecution. One of the first successful prosecutions in the country for offending related to the commercial sale of IPTV boxes involving the Copyright, Designs and patents Act 1088. The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. The Fraud Act 2006 and the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.
- EA –v- Maw – The defendant alleged that the EA had acted maliciously in their enforcement of the Regulations and subsequently in the prosecution. Charges of breaching a waste management permit as well as non-compliance with an enforcement notice. (Illegal dumping thousands of tonnes of waste where rubbish was piled 27ft (8.2m) high).
- R V Pogmore Adrian, Lucas Matthew, Walls Lee, Reeves Malcom, Loosemore Matthew – Following the crown court prosecution where Pogmore admitted to four charges of misconduct in a public office for his use of his force helicopter to film members of the public having sex. Richard is now instructed by South Yorkshire Police in the Police Misconduct proceedings of PC Lucas and PC Walls.